So happy to be back on the ice after yet another break for a family vacation. This week-on, week-off thing really is not very effective for getting in any kind of skating condition–or in breaking in new skates.
Yes, here they are! All mounted with new blades and ready to roll. Don’t they look stiff?
It has been a while since I did the new boot thing, though I replaced my blades a few years ago. I’m hoping that this will not be too bad. I have been been in them on four different days. Day 1 was 10 minutes, day 2 was 15 minutes, day three 3, 20 minutes. But today I only lasted 15 minutes, so I seem to be retrogressing.
I’m still skating in my old faithfuls for most of the session so I can get through at least some of my moves. I’m sure the new ones will break in much faster once I take the plunge into wearing them for longer, but for now, I’m trying to ease into the transition. It’s like the sloooow walk into the cold water; at some point you just wind up diving in.
Okay, time for 2019 skating resolutions!
- Break in new skates without whining.
- Skate as much as possible.
- Master the art of the “flat hip” (meaning not breaking at the waist) and other useful positions.
- Assertiveness training: no more “nice” wimpy edges.
- Build some endurance/aerobic training back into skating.
- Rock those inside edges!
- Cover more ice (as Ari says, “You’re not that short!”)
- Oooh, lots of turns. Fun, fun, fun!
- Get back into patterns: dances, moves.
- Enjoy good skating company. Here’s a sample!
Happy New Year, everybody!